Google Gears

I read about Google Gears earlier today on the blog of the developer who has been working on it, but I couldn’t think of anything I’d want to use it for, so I didn’t bother checking into it too much further.

Now that Google Reader supports it, though, I have installed it and it is excellent. Reader is the perfect type of application for this product.

This entry was posted in Blog Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Google Gears

1. nstryker says:

why is offline access to google reader ever needed? i don’t get it…

On a plane would be one ideal situation. Pretty much anywhere you might want to read stuff where you don’t have internet access.

3. nstryker says:

the plane is pretty much the only place i can think of where you wouldn’t have internet access…and even then you still can use your phone, it’s just “illegal.” :-)

Granted, there aren’t too many web apps that you would ever want to use offline anyway (which is why I initially wasn’t too keen on the idea), but it does have its uses. I’m not sure if I’m really going to use it very often, but it’s nice to have.

There are also some improvements they could make in the implementation for Reader, such as background syncing to prepare for offline mode. Right now you have to decide beforehand that you’re going offline and let it download the content before you disconnect, but it seems like it would be a good idea for them to do that for you automatically, so that offline mode is already ready if you were to loose your internet connection without preparing for it.

I’m thinking Reader was the best if not only solution for them to roll out gears to get it tested and strengthened before they could roll it out to more their other apps that require security, ie Mail and docs. Two prime apps that desperately need it.

Thinking it over more, I’m not sure how much extra security they would need on mail and docs. If you’re referring to the concern of the messages / documents being stored locally (without encryption), I don’t know how big a deal that is since your browser cache will already contain unencrypted copies of that stuff.

Docs will definitely be big, though – the offline access is a primary reason listed for not moving to an online office suite rather than MS Office or the like.