Gym oddities

Going to the gym more often has the side effect of letting you notice certain trends. One I noticed today that I thought I’d comment on is what I call the “gym posers”.

At our gym, the treadmills are up on the top floor, and they face an edge that looks down on the weight lifting areas below. Today I observed a classic example of this particular type of character that I’ve noticed (to some degree or another) at every gym I’ve ever been to.

During my 20 minutes on the treadmill, this guy down in the weight area literally only did a few shorts sets (1-3 reps each) on a particular machine for the entire time I was up there. He spent the rest of his time pacing around in a circle, alternating between looking at himself in the mirror and looking around to see if any of the women in the gym were looking at him (they weren’t).

The funny thing is, he was somewhat buff, so I can only assume that he eventually does get around to doing a full workout regularly, but at that pace he must be there all day. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t see myself looking forward to spending extended periods of time at the gym just hanging out.

This is also why I don’t want to get together with other people to work out, even though I realize that they’re only being nice and supportive with their offers in that regard. I have no interest in taking turns watching other people work out, thereby extending the length of time I’m there.

This entry was posted in Blog Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Gym oddities

1. nstryker says:

maybe he wasn’t looking for women to be looking at him.

2. lisa.stryker says:

When I worked at the Y I noticed that the people doing only few reps on the machines were lifting 5 times what they should be. So either that was their odd way of bulking up or they had no idea how to lift and did the max weight for as many times as they possibly could.

3. Jared says:

Nathan: yeah, maybe he was just checking them out; I didn’t really ask him. Sometimes you can tell when people are checking to see if other people are looking at them, but I could have been wrong on that.

Lisa: Yeah, after mentioning this particular guy to Martha, she said that (if it’s the same guy she’s thinking of) he takes steroids, so maybe it’s all part of his “enhanced” training program, I don’t know.

I think nathan was suggesting he wanted guys to check him out, not women, seems like it worked for you.

I couldn’t imagine working out by myself because I wouldn’t get the pressure to push harder. I would also be lost because a lot of our workout includes stuff I’ve never done before and having them there to help with my form is great. I’d have to say we’re not standing around watching each other because we’re rarely waiting.

Ah, I get it; although I wouldn’t say I was “checking him out”, he just happened to be doing his thing right in front of the treadmill I was on, so I would have had to make a concerted effort not to notice.

I’m not putting down anyone who prefers working out with other people either; I realize the benefits and for some it’s definitely the right way to go. For me, I just prefer to maximize my time and the way I’m doing it is the best that I can right now.

I also know myself and know that for me personally if I’m not committed to pushing myself, no amount of outside influence will really change that, as I’d just find ways to make excuses. Part of getting in shape for me is more than a physical undertaking (although that’s obviously a huge part); it’s a mental & spiritual exercise in discipline & self control as well.

6. allison says:

oh, i love people like that at the gym…especially on the days I forget the ipod. We have one lady, that carries a huge duffle bag, walks up to the tread mill, gets her magazine set to a certain page, pulls out her own disinfect-wipes. wipes down the machine, does some stretches…like leaning from side to side…gets on the machine for 3 MINS! Puts back her magazine, wipes down the machine…and then walks out and gets in her car….it’s hilarous!

But seriously I LOVE THESE PEOPLE.