Restaurant Evangelism

What is it about a good restaurant that makes you (or me, at least) feel the desire to try and convince everyone else you know to go there?

Last night, our second trip to The Melting Pot secured its place at (or at least near) the top of the list of my favorite places to eat. It really is a unique dining experience; so much variety throughout the various courses, but it all still fits together and everything is excellent. It’s interesting how the “communal cooking” process almost forces you to slow down and savor your meal and your company, too.

You can get a visual sample / walkthru of what it’s like on their web site (assuming you have the Flash player installed and enabled), but nothing beats actually going and doing it. So, go and do it!

This entry was posted in Blog Posts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Restaurant Evangelism

1. Nate says:

“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation.”

–Reflections on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis

2. Nate says:

That’s not the whole quote but the rest suggests that you want to tell other people because you had such a great time and want others to have the good time you had.

I do it to try and get people to take me out for free food.

3. nstryker says:

i think the $50-100 per plate pretty much kills any desire for me to go check it out. and we’ve had desire before, it’s just that when we saw the prices on the menu we decided to eat someplace else. you can enjoy a really nice meal at a non-chain restaurant for $100/plate.

Odd, I’m not sure how you got to those charges, but the “meals for two” things (like what we got) are in the $65-80 range, and that’s for three courses for two people – a cheese fondue with bread + vegetables, a salad, and a meat entree. And that’s a lot of food, for $30~something per plate. Dessert and drinks are extra, but they’re also optional.

I’m not saying it’s not on the expensive side, but it definitely doesn’t have to be $50-$100 per plate.

Personally, I think you can have a really nice meal at Corrales for $5, and you can have a crappy meal at the most expensive of restaurants. The point is, the quality of the food and the experience isn’t necessarily related to the price. In my opinion, this place is worth it.

5. nstryker says:

i remembered it was expensive, so i looked at the menu at the site you posted and that’s about how much it looked like. if you can really get away for $60 for two, that makes it more worth it feeling (i mean, do they even have a chef, or just some dude that chops things into small bits?). the menu sure doesn’t look that way, since it opens with a dinner for two “special” that’s $100 and doesn’t include drinks.

Yeah, the only two times we’ve gone we’ve had the “Signature Selection” (last time – $64) and the “Pacific Rim” (this time – $66), so I can really only speak for those. Both times, it was more than enough food for the two of us, leaving some left over.

So, if you’re OK with drinking water, that’s really all you need to get the whole experience, although dessert is pretty awesome too. Add a few bucks for soft drinks or more for other drinks, but that’s standard pretty much everywhere.

As for the chef situation, I don’t really know much about it, but I don’t really care too much either. For me, when I’m going to eat somewhere, I don’t really care to know much about the details of how it gets done, as long as it results in a good meal in the end.

I think the special is just pricier because it includes more meat variety, and has dessert included, so that makes sense.

I didn’t mention it in my review, but the atmosphere at the Thousand Oaks location is quite a bit more romantic than the one featured on the web site, in case that matters to anyone.